Monday, April 29, 2013

Leukemia - Maintenance Week 7 - Done With Catheter

Today was the last day Jemma was scheduled to receive medicine through her catheter and she was just as spunky as usual.
Most of the time we spent at the hospital she was happy, but she refused to have her temperature taken. She was upset with me for getting out the camera. After I put it away she was fine.

Once again we are making progress in the treatment of Jemma's Leukemia, but are still not through associated medical issues. About two weeks ago she fell off her scooter and got a minor scrape on her elbow. Unfortunately, the minor wound is still not healed. Her low leukocytes are the most likely reason. They have been in the 1000-1600 range which gives her some immune system protection, but is still quite low. In an attempt to make it heal quicker, we now have a special honey gel and honey band-aids to use.

Illness has been another issue in the house this week. Monday night I thought my son was having allergy issues, but Tuesday when he had a fever I knew he was sick. He was quarantined to his bedroom for three and a half days and then had to wear a mask for three more. My husband and I cleaned the bathroom every time he went in and sanitized doorknobs and light switches several times per day. All meals were delivered to him and he had books and the computer to keep him company. He got lots of school work done:)
 
I'm amazed by how much more often he has gotten sick than the rest of us. It's probably because he is a nine year old boy who likes to touch everything. Thankfully he is feeling better now and the rest of are still fever free.

Next Monday after Jemma has her blood checked we should have a date to have her catheter removed and we are all looking forward to it.


5 comments:

  1. Oh dear look at Jemma's face and the crossed arms sorry it made me laugh such a overall look:) But the gentleman looks like he is being good and trying not to laugh. I will be praying for you that the catheter comes out and all is well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see that look all the time. That is her strong personality.

      Delete
  2. She does have a good cross look! Well done for containing your son's virus. I hope Jemma's scooter scrape heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the same look my teenagers give me sometimes when I get the camera out to!! What wonderful news that Jemma should be able to get her cathetar out soon, I can't imagine how excited she is! Glad to hear you caught your sons illness so fast, praying no one else gets it! Wishing you a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, does that mean that look is here to stay. I was hoping she would grow out of that one. - Thank you:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...