Friday, April 26, 2013

Hobbies and Handicrafts - April 26

Poetry is a subject we study several times per week. Since so many unique words are used in poems reading poetry really helps to build vocabulary. Plus poetry is full of rhythms and rhymes which are both mathematical and good for reading skills. We begin with Mother Goose and progress through A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson and move onto poets such as Walter De La Mare and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Much of the poetry we read comes from the Ambleside Online curriculum.

This is why I love the idea of keeping a Poetry Journal.

Buggy and Buddy linked up this fantastic poetry journal idea and I'm definitely going to incorporate it into my writing curriculum for next year. Check it out!





What have your kids been up to this week?




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting! Have a wonnderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing our poetry journal! We have really enjoyed using it, and there just seems to be endless possibilities to do with it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do another post with more ideas. - Thank you

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to explore poetry. I still have the copy of A Child's Garden Of Verses that my father gave me when I was a child...a long time ago. My daughter now has it. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...