Thursday, March 14, 2013

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 270

Thank you to everyone who has ever donated blood. I hope you think of Jemma and other cancer patients next time you donate and know how much you are helping them. Jemma received her thirteenth blood transfusion yesterday. Although she has finished her intensive chemotherapy, her blood has not recovered. She required both platelets and red blood.

I remember her first transfusion very well. The day and night before she had several bloody noses. While she was eating blood started flowing. While she was sleeping blood started flowing. Then she received blood and all the bleeding stopped.

Tuesday night I commented on how pale Jemma looked. Her energy was a bit low, but in general she felt pretty good. 

We waited four and a half hours for the blood to arrive yesterday. In total we were at the hospital for nine hours. One to wait for the blood test results, four and a half to wait for the blood and three and a half to receive the transfusions.
It was so worth it! Within the first two minutes of transfusions Jemma's energy level shot  up. She played balloon catch with one of the girls who's job it is to entertain and provide support for the kids. I knitted all day long.


5 comments:

  1. You and your family are in my thoughts, Julie. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized how important donating blood was after my mother went through a few transfusions herself! I'm glad the transfusions are making her feel better. What a long time to have to wait in the hospital, while I'm sure your used to it by know I'm sure it can still be frustrating! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to see such an immediate response and improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, you recently commented on my daughter's blog (www..nomoreadventures.com) and I must tell you reading about Jemma is both encouraging and a little scary all at the same time. Encouraging to see her pics and how well she is doing, scary because 13 blood transfusions already???? Yikes! We thought Delaney was going to need her first about a week ago but she turned around. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that was the last blood transfusion she will ever need. I'm glad to hear that Delaney recovered without needing one.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...