Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Blue Mosque

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque, commonly known to westerners as The Blue Mosque is located in Istanbul, Turkey. It was built during the early 1600's.

The minarets have balconies used for the Muslim call to prayer. The call to prayer happens five times per day.

The courtyard is surrounded by domes.

This is the view of the courtyard ceiling domes.

Visitors must remove their shoes before entering the mosque.

Inside it was very spacious and on the floor was the largest carpet I have ever seen. Mosques can be decorated in three ways; geometric design, nature and plant forms and Arabic calligraphy.

The mosque contains more than 200 stained glass windows with geometric designs.

The mosque gets its nickname of the Blue Mosque from these decorative blue floral tiles.

We read the book Mosque by David Macaulay before visiting The Blue Mosque. It is a story of mosque construction based on the construction of The Blue Mosque. Many terms such as Mihrab, minaret, minbar are clearly explained within the text. The book describes the layout of the mosque, how the domes were constructed and supported and the timeframe required to construct the mosque. It was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in construction, engineering or learning more about the Muslim Faith.

To see the other places we've been please visit our European Living page.





Hip Homeschool Hop Button jdaniel4smom The Children's Bookshelf
* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...