Thursday, January 17, 2013

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 214

I am currently dealing with one very difficult aspect of Leukemia. Worry. As of her blood check this morning Jemma's only has 900 Leukocytes. Her immune system is very low. If she gets a fever above 101.3 degrees F or a fever that stays above 100.4 degrees F she needs to be hospitalized right away.

Her temperature was at 100.0 for most of the evening. She looked fine and told me she felt good. Now she's in bed and her temperature is still hovering around 100 degrees F. She's breathing normally and telling me she feels fine. Normally her temperature is much lower. 

It's 10:30 pm now. Needless to say, I don't plan on getting much sleep tonight and we may end up in the hospital. Now that I've got you all worrying too...........
As you can see from the picture, her hair is almost completely gone. I have washed her bedding every day this week and today I vacuumed the couch. There is a little left to fall out and I think she will probably lose it all this time, but that's alright - it's a good sign that the medicine is doing it's job.

Jemma's energy is slowly coming back now that she has been off steroids for two days. She isn't taking naps anymore, but still isn't doing any active play. She has been coloring and making friendship bracelets.

Phase 2A is over. Monday we go to the hospital for dose three of l'asparaginase. If her blood looks good we will stay overnight to begin phase 2B, but if it still needs time to recover we will return a few days later to begin. At this point the blood values are still dropping so the start of phase 2B will likely be delayed.




4 comments:

  1. I am saying an extra prayer for Jemma tonight. I hope you get a little rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am holding you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...