Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kids Cooking Breakfast

I often cook with the kids because I want them to be capable of preparing food for themselves. To further reach this goal, after Christmas I added cooking breakfast to the daily list of school tasks for my nine and eleven year old. Each day one of them gets the responsibility.

My daughter likes to cook from her memory. She has prepared things like eggs and breakfast burritos depending on what's available in the house. She loves shepherd's pie and even made that for breakfast once too.


My son has created his own cookbook to help him prepare breakfast. It has directions for things like scrambled eggs, oatmeal and grilled cheese.

They love cooking breakfast and I like it when they cook too. Now they have control of what we are eating so they're happy. I'm happy because if they're making it, they're not complaining about it. Plus, I have more time to do laundry, clean house and the other 101 jobs on my daily chore list. This was and awesome change to the daily schedule and I highly recommend it!




I Can Teach My Child TheBetterMom.com The Chicken Chick Organic Aspirations Hip Homeschool Hop Button

8 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I like it a lot, LOL. My kids are starting to show an interest in cooking their own things...maybe I should facilitate that a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cookbook idea, I am teaching my kids to cook so I am going to see if they will want to make a cook book, we could include pictures. Great Idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful idea!!! I am going to have to incorporate that into our schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are beginning to cook more too. I love it! You make a great point that children don't complain when they fix it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making a cookbook sounds like a woderful learning tool! Thanks for sharing your post with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that it's a win-win situation! Except maybe if they get adventurous and make something 'interesting' that you'd rather not eat =) It's also great that you're giving your children tools they can use to do so many things in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly good, but we have been eating a lot of starch... potatoes and rice.... today we made a list of different food groups and the foods that make them up. Then we talked about how good meals have selections from each group.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...