Thursday, November 22, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 158

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are enjoying your day with friends, family and football. We had a nice Thanksgiving a few days early. We took the day off on Tuesday and had a nice meal.

Today Jemma is receiving her fourth round of methotrexate in the hospital. Luckily the lumbar puncture she had this morning didn't cause a headache. Unfortunately something did cause a mild case of diarrhea. Hopefully it goes away and doesn't worsen.

Jemma is also receiving a high dose of fluid. Unfortunately, the machine was set at 60 ml/hr all day long when it should have been set at 90 ml/hr. I noticed that she wasn't using the bathroom as often as normal, and then I noticed the setting. It's now at 110 ml/hr, but will be turned back to 90 ml/hr in a few hours. The fluid is given to wash the methotrexate out of her system and keep her PH level around 9. With the setting being set lower than normal, the chemo may stay in her system longer. Fortunately, her system is very efficient of ridding itself of this drug.

Since it's Thanksgiving I wanted to share a few things I'm thankful for.

I like the hospital. That's right. Don't get me wrong. I don't enjoy the stress and worry that comes with having a child in the hospital, but we have had several planned visits which last days at a time. These visits aren't too bad. In fact in some ways they are quite enjoyable.

First of all, it's sooooooooo much easier being in the hospital. I only have one child to care for. We have fun reading, sewing and playing games together. All the meals are prepared. A cleaning lady cleans the rooms on a daily basis, and the rooms are always a warm and comfortable temperature. Holidays and special events are celebrated. There were the soccer tournaments in summer, and St. Martin's Day just last week. Sometimes clowns stop by to entertain the kids, and once a week there is a craft night with a special project.

There is lots of time for me to prepare homeschool lessons, knit, and read. The nurses are wonderful. They get things you need like food, diapers, and forgotten toothbrushes. The kids love to play with them. When your child pees all over the floor because she is packed with fluid and sleeping, they clean it up. They change the sheets once per day and any other time it's required. You can often hear them singing and laughing. They're always in a good mood.

The doctors are excellent too. My little girl is getting better. They're always willing to answer questions anytime, and if I have a concern they address it right away.

Since I have over scheduled myself with kid activities, my days are busy. Life is slower in the hospital. I'm not happy my daughter has Leukemia, or that she has to deal with powerful chemical medicines, but the hospital is nice. It's not too far from home and I'm thankful for each and every one of the doctors, nurses and other employees that have made this a welcoming and comfortable environment.

3 comments:

  1. God Bless you all! I am sure there is a sense that all can be handled when you are at the hospital,a small sense of relief ,if you will.Momma is able to relax a bit knowing that all is not on your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on. I always say I feel better when I'm at the hospital because someone else does most of the worrying. Actually, they know what to do because they have dealt with it before, so I don't need to worry quite so much.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...