Friday, July 13, 2012

Little House on the Praire Dress

Today marks one month spent in the hospital. The photo on the left was taken on Sunday June 10th. The day before Jemma's bacteria infection became so bad she could do nothing but lie on the couch. Although we didn't know it at the time, there is no doubt about the fact her Leukemia was a growing problem.

The photo on the right was taken on July 10, day 23 of her Leukemia treatment and 27 days after being hospitalized. She had a stomach ache most of the day. I was hoping for a smile to match the first photo, and I finaly got one.

Dad can always make her smile.

She found this dress in her closet and thought it was so pretty that she just needed to wear it. It was her older sister's Laura Ingalls dress, and made by my mother. She loved it and I caught her checking herself out in front of the mirror several times the day she found the dress.

After discovering the Little House dress we decided to try to read the Little House in the Big Woods. It proved interesting, but too big of a challenge.

So we read the entire set of My First Little House books instead. My daughter loved them and it only took two days to read all fourteen books. This series is a great introduction to the chapter books. The illustrations and text gently introduce concepts and themes from the historical time period which can be difficult to understand in more advanced books.  Now I look forward to reading the unabridged series with her.

 * I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
 ** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

6 comments:

  1. Jemma is such a beautiful child. Thank you for the updates and info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about that series, but I haven't read them. We read Little House in the Big Woods and hope to read another this fall.

    That is a great dress!

    Thanks for sharing this with us today at Trivium Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is for very young children (3-6). If you've already read Little House in the Big Woods you are beyond the series.

      Delete
  3. I loved the Little House books when I was a girl and I loved finding and sharing these First Little House books with my girls when they were little.

    I am so sorry to hear about Jemma's leukemia. I will keep your family in my prayers. My uncle was just diagnosed with AML and is on day three of his treatment...so far tolerating everything, thank GOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish your uncle the best. This is a tough road, but luckily the treatment plan is well laid out. Stay strong!

      Delete
  4. I loved the Little House series when I was little. I am so glad she go to wear her dress again.

    I will be sharing this post on Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...