Thursday, July 26, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 39

Why do people jump out of planes? - Jemma asked this on our drive to the hospital after we saw a paraglider in the sky.

Yesterday Jemma and I spent the day and night at the hospital. It was a planned visit and the first day in Phase 1B of her treatment plan. I like planned visits much better. We had a very nice day and a sleepless night. Upon arriving her catheter was connected to the IV cart so she could be given fluids and chemo. She felt pretty good during the day so we spent the afternoon crafting in the hospital. I continued working on the hat Jemma designed while she did a paint by number kit and made a pom pom pig.




The reason we had to stay overnight was so her system could be flushed with fluid to begin the new treatment phase. Well they weren't kidding. During the night she usually wakes up once to use the bathroom. I knew she was receiving lots of fluid so I woke her up after she had been in bed for 2 hours. Too long! The bed was full of pee and she wasn't happy about it. After finally getting her back into bed I decided to wake her up after 1.5 hours. Too long! We quickly blew through all the spare underwear and clothing we brought to the hospital and I found that she needed to pee every 45 minutes. That doesn't leave much time for sleep. In total the bed was wet six times. Toward the morning I let her sleep naked for as long as she could. This lasted two hours. Not long after she woke up the nurse disconnected her catheter, she took a shower and we went home.

On Monday the two older kids returned home loaded with treasures. Their new items coupled with the wonderful gifts Jemma received left me with the challenge of finding homes for everything. I spent most of Monday and Tuesday organizing and cleaning out the old to make room for the new. It was probably time we got rid of some of those toys for three year olds anyway. Now I'm feeling caught up and ready to return to the hospital the next four mornings in a row so Jemma can receive treatments. I'm also ready for summer. Hopefully there will be some time to play tennis and go on a few bike rides with the two older children.

Photobucket What Did They Say!?

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting a pretty good idea about Jemma's hat design. So cute!!
    I hope you are able to enjoy some summer activities too - tell the kids I said hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a rough night of not sleeping, go home and get some rest. Glad Jemma is liking the things we sent. the pig looks so cute and so does the painting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed she is decked out in the socks and shirt we sent too, LOL. My kids were really pleased to see Jemma like what they pick out at the store:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hat - so cute!

    I pray that you will have time for those bike rides with the older ones, too.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...