Thursday, July 19, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 32

This is the the building Jemma and I have been living in for the past 36 days. Counting the two days we spent in the Kaiserslautern hospital makes a total of 38 days in the hospital. I never thought I would ever spend this many days in a hospital.

Amazingly, the time has passed rather quickly. Thanks so much to the wonderful support we have received from all our friends and family. Many of you have visited several times, brought gifts, snacks and meals. You have helped make this time pass by as easily as possible. We truely appreciate it.


I've been writing down some of the questions Jemma has been asking and I wanted to share them with you.

What color are birds eyes?
How do nurses stay awake at night?
Why do Germans have big hands?
Do clowns tape red stuff to their heads to make their hair funny?
Will they have to sew up the hole in my chest?
Do spiders bite?
What did the doctor say about giving me another iv during my brain scan?
Do I have any appointments tomorrow?
Will the art teacher come tomorrow?
Do we need to buy a microwave so you can make my mouthwash at home?

I love kid questions and should write them down more often.

Jemma has picked up a new hobby here in the hospital. She now really likes doing puzzles. She refuses to do anything with less than 100 pieces because she says they are too easy.

Today she had a brain scan. I spend a lot of time with her and was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with her brain. She has learned to read here in the hospital and is getting good at addition as we have been playing a lot of adding war. My assumption was proven correct as the results of her brain scan showed that everything is normal.


Today Jemma has had a lot of leg pain which is very common for children going through Leukemia treatment. Unfortunately it makes her walk with a limp and hurts when she dances and jumps.

Tomorrow Jemma has a Lumbar puncture and bone marrow withdraw in the morning. Then hopefully we will go home. When we get there several things will change. It seems a bit like bringing home a new baby. Here are some of the changes.

Food: no raw nuts, no raw cheese, all meat must be well cooked, fruits and veggies must be well washed, all spices must be cooked, and no eating any Imbiss (fast food or festival) stands
Compost cannot sit in the house
All towels must be changed daily
We must use lots of hand sanitizer
Tea must be cooked, not just a bag and hot water
We can't have plants or pets in the house
No going to the swimming pool
No contact with anyone who is sick; cold, fever, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat
No going anywhere where there are lots of people or germs for about 6 months:
No kindergarten (I still need to talk to the director about this)
No dance class (I still need to talk to the teachers about this)
No grocery stores, malls, post offices, buses, .....errands...... public places

Basically she can go home and to the hospital, and the less contact she has with people the better for her health. I'm glad I homeschool and she is so young. I think if she were older these changes would be more difficult.

She can go to the history co-op some of the time since it is an activity in a home with a small number of children. Her blood will be checked two or three times per week and if her immune system is strong enough she will be allowed to go. Of course this assumes she will not be at the hospital for an appointment.





Photobucket What Did They Say!?

4 comments:

  1. God bless you -- I'm praying as Jemma goes home that remains healthy and able to stay out of the hospital. It's such a blessing that you homeschool - hugs to you!

    Thanks for linking with Collage Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray all goes well with your dd.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetie. When kids trust us, they are willing to ask us every little thing that is on their mind. I love it!
    Jody
    http://accidentalsubstituteteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma is battling leukemia also, I can't imagine how hard it must be to have your daughter suffering with that.

    Her questions are adorable... Ie always wondered how nurses (or anyone working a gift shift) stays awake as well! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...