Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 16

Today has been a rather uneventful and normal day aside from the fact that we spent it at the hospital. Jemma completed three mosaic pictures. I have mentioned these before because I think they are great. They come in kits and kids apply sticky back sparkly foam pieces to a pre-numbered picture on cardboard. Obviously she loves these.
We have been reading The Tale of Peter Rabbit series by Beatrix Potter. So today after reading The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, Jemma named her hedgehog Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and decided to make a bonnet for it just like the one in the book.

Now that we have been in the hospital for three weeks we are getting into a bit of  a routine. Jemma is happiest around 12:30, just after lunch. Although visitors are welcome anytime, 12:30 seems like one of the best.

Today I had a difficult time watching one boy about nine years old, in the onkology ward. He is so skinny and doesn't want to eat. Usually when he tries he has intense mouth pain. The food burns and it hurts his jaw to move. While trying to eat a bite of mashed potatoes silent tears were rolling down his face. His mother then asked him if he would like to try soup instead. That was actually one of the few things that went down. She cooks all day in hopes that he will eat, and he doesn't. When he does they are free to go home.

On a happier note, the little girl that was in the room next door with the same Leukemia as Jemma went home today. I am happy for them and look forward to seeing them in a few days when they return for treatment.

Shibley Smiles

* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
 ** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

2 comments:

  1. How horrible for that little boy and his poor mother. Reading that broke my heart for that poor little boy and the suffering he has to go thro. I hope that doesn't happen to Jemma. But it was nice to finally see someone go home that has the same Cancer as Jemma, so you can see some positives as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have found great things to do during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...