Sunday, July 1, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 14

The nurse on the right drew blood from a tube for the first time this morning. As she learned the proper way to do it I think Jemma learned as well. I'm pretty sure she will be able to withdraw her own blood from the tube before long.

I have mentioned that Jemma has had low energy for the past several days. Well today she received a blood transfusion. Receiving the transfusion was so amazing, because I could actually see her energy coming back during the process. It took around four hours for her to receive all the blood and she had to be monitored in her room the entire time.
Actually the four hours flew by because we had a few visitors. It was really nice to see Jemma having a good time with her friends.

Jemma and I both worked on our CRAFTS today. She put together these cute Clothespin Cuties flower girls from a Klutz kit. Both of us were thrilled when she received this kit. We have a few other Klutz kits at home. They are hands-on activity books that come with materials. My older daughter had the Make Your Own Twinkly Tiaras (Chicken Socks) Make Your Own Twinkly Tiaras book several years ago and my son had the Klutz Pom Pom Monster Salon: Create, Cut & Style Your Own Monsters Craft Kit book. They make great gifts.

I worked on my knitting again. Over the winter I made these fair isle mittens with the huge cuffs, and I would like a matching hat. Today I borrowed Jemma's new markers and sketched out my pattern. As I was working on my pattern I was thinking about what a great MATH activity it was. I had to figure out how many stitches around the circle and how many stitches in the repetiting pattern to make my hat. Then I had to make sure that when the pattern starts over it will look continuous. My hat will have 126 stitches of worsted weight yarn and be made on #3 and #5 16 inch circular needles. My 18 stitch pattern will be repeated 7 times around the circle.

Tomorrow Jemma will have a very busy day. She has a bone marrow withdraw scheduled for the morning. This procedure will allow the doctors to see how her body is responding to the treatment. After the bone marrow withdraw she will receive another round of chemo.





* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry she's going through this! Hugs to you. (You really took advantage of that math moment!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...