Thursday, June 21, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 4

Today Jemma had an appointment to have her kidney function checked. Again the powerful drugs they plan to begin next week can cause harm to the kidneys. Therefore, the doctors want to check her kidney function before the medications begin. Since the kidney test was in another building on the hospital campus she was transported by ambulance.

I asked if my son could ride in the ambulance. Kids seem to think it is fun to ride in an ambulance, and have a difficult time understanding how if you have to be transported by an ambulance it isn't really fun. This trip was between buildings, not an ambulance ride as part of an emergency, or as part of a parade. I'm not really sure what he thought, but I think a lot of his curiosity was satisified.

While waiting for her appointment we were able to sneak in a few rounds of Uno. These simple family moments are so important to Jemma's mental health. They really make her brighten up and forget she is in the hospital.

I've mentioned that the ward Jemma is in has a kitchen and dining room. We are trying to take advantage of that as much as possible. So many of you have been bringing us food I think we are going to start gaining weight. Seriously, it has been wonderful and I can't thank you all enough. We haven't had to visit the grocery store or worry about food. This has allowed us to focus on Jemma and the kids. Tonight we put several things together and had a huge afternoon meal.

We ate a delicious home-made pot pie.
Our two meals provided by the hospital were divided up among the five of us.
My husband and I made a salad.
Then we had a surprise. While my husband and I were putting together the food, a friend of another family in the ward was preparing a traditional German schnitzel. We watched and asked questions as she pounded the meat, breaded it with egg and flour then fried it in oil. She gave us a big plate of her schnitzel with noodles and sauce. It was also delicious, and now I have a pretty good idea of how to make schnitzel.
 (We have some left-overs, or had rather. I think my son was planning to eat the rest once he got home.)

We received some good news on one of Jemma's tests today. I'm not sure I can explain it very well, but they did some genetic testing as part of a Leukemia study and she does not have the genetic mutation.

Unfortunately, on Monday when she had her lumbar puncture and bone marrow withdraw they were not able to withdraw enough bone marrow to complete all the required testing. Therefore, tomorrow morning she will be given anestesia for the third time this week and have the bone marrow withdraw procedure repeated.

If you would like to follow updates on Jemma through facebook you can click the like button for Highhill Homeschool and they should go into your news feed.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the daily blog posts about Jemma and the family. I hope you can feel all the love and prayers coming your way from Michigan. We are excited for Jace and Jaela's visit and will keep them busy and having a fun holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you from the blog hop. I am thinking about you and your whole family as you are going through what you are. I looked back at a lot of posts and love the game you have created. We are a homeschooling family as well. I am following you via GFC. I am sorry you are going through what you are and I am glad that you have great medical care where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear she has to have the bone marrow procedure again. I hear that is no fun. So glad you are able to still make good memories for your family during this period

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...