Friday, June 29, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 12

The above photo does a pretty good job at explaining our morning and early afternoon. Today Jemma had another lumber puncture. This was the second time this procedure was done and there will be several more (approximately 12). The doctors use this method to inject chemo into her spinal fluid. So far the Leukemia has not been detected in her spinal fluid, but this is a standard part of treatment. During the procedure she was given anestetic, and she had to lay with her feet up for the following hour.

While laying down I was able to read her several books and then she decided to draw a picture while I finished the socks I was knitting for her. This is actually the first pair of socks I have knitted, and they were a bit tricky since I only had a pattern for an adult. Luckily they seem to fit, but if I make them again I think I will add a few more stitches.

Once the lumber puncture was finished she had to remain on the IV while she was given another type of chemo. Around 2:00 the nurse came back and disconnected her, and we were then free to venture outdoors. 
Jemma had a special request today. She wanted her bike. Since her energy was so low yesterday I was expecting the same thing, but was thrilled she wanted to ride. Although her stamina is no where near where it was before she got sick it was much better than yesterday. She did a short loop around some hospital buildings and thought it was so funny that my husband and I had to run to keep up with her. I'm also happy to report that she didn't have any mouth pain today. The doctor said it was probably just a scratch which was irritated by sour foods.

Notice how Jemma is dressed in the above photo. The temperature was 86 degrees F. It was sunny and hot. Since being diagnosed with Leukemia she is constantly complaining of being cold. Where as before I was the one wearing all the clothes. This is because the hemoglobin levels in her blood are not normal due to her Leukemia and treatment. Grandma - please send more beautiful hand knitted sweaters. She is wearing them constantly!

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the socks, I can only knit hats:) Love that Jemma is going outside and I think I even see a smile on her face here. These little moment of normalcy are fantastic

    What is Jemma's favorite color I can knit her a winter hat and matching scarf if you like...but that is probably something you can already do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly welcome to do that, but please don't feel like you have to. She likes pink and purple.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...