Monday, June 18, 2012

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Day 1

Today was the first official day of Jemma's treatment. Up until this point the focus has been on eliminating the initial infection, controling her pain and performing medical tests. Over the past six days she has had two chest x-rays, seven ultra sounds, two EKG's, and three IV's. She has had blood drawn numerous times. I'm guessing about 15. She has learned to swallow pills and is filled with morphine, antibiotics and now steroids. Every time she urinates it is tested. She also had a lumbar puncture in her back to see if her cancer is in her nervous system and a bone marrow biopsy... and it's only day one. That sounds awful, so let me show you a photo of her today.

Dad came to visit and they spent time together playing catch with a ball. She had fun throwing the ball away from him so that he had to chase after it. I played several hands of Uno with her as well as a Bibi Blocksberg game her German dance teachers brought her yesterday. We also read several stories in James Harriot's Treasury for Children.

The results from the testing confirmed that she has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) B-Cell. So far it looks like the cancer is not in her nervous system.

Tomorrow she will have an EEG test done on her brain and another x-ray. Blood will be drawn at least two times, and I'm pretty sure a few friends are coming to visit.

8 comments:

  1. Go Jemma, we're praying and rooting for you.

    - Nats family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    Healing thoughts and prayers for Jemma, you, and the family. As the mom, watching your child having to endure all the poking, prodding, pill swallowing, etc, it can be incredibly difficult. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This really hit me hard. You never know who you are going to reach when you post these things. I thank you very much. Although we're not in identical situations I just received news my husband had kidney cancer this week. It's not my usual blog topic, but it helped me through the pain. I encourage you to reach out and share. We are here for you. Praying for your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big huges for your husband. Unfortunately I have some idea of what you are going through. The first day I was here I cried when I thought of my little girl, but each time I passed another family in the hall I also cried. The ward is filled with pictures and it is so sad to think about all the families that have gone through this struggle. I will keep your husband in my thoughts and wish him well.

      Delete
  4. I follow your blog, and just read about Jemma. I shall say a little prayer for her each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jemma looks like one very brave little girl, life must be one day at a time for you all. Jemma's fight puts everything that is important so fully into perspective. Hugs to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are so resilient aren't they ~ to still have a beautiful smile and fun with dad amongst all those procedures is super special x And thanks for sharing at Happy Family Times

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cried hearing all the things your precious daughter is having to go thru. But she still has a smile on her face! Stay strong and let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...