Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Leukemia - Crafting in the Hospital


Jemma and I both enjoy sewing and crafting activities. Today we sat in her bed like this for a few hours. She sewed her pencil holder kit together, I knitted and she talked a lot. It's funny, because Jemma doesn't talk much to people here in the hospital, or to anyone she doesn't know very well. She misses her siblings and has a lot on her mind. You may think she is thinking about being in the hospital, but that is really what the adults are thinking about. Jemma is thinking about sending her brother junk email, wondering if her sister will like her pencil case because it is pink and girly, confirming that 9+9 is indeed 18, asking how the doctors know how to put tubes into hearts, and wondering which dress looks the most like one Fancy Nancy would wear. Oh to have the mind of a 5 year old!

I love these cute sewing kits for kids. They are such a great way for them to learn to sew and make great gifts. The kit Jemma put together today was from a German friend. She did similar projects at home before coming to the hospital. With the Build-a-Bear sewing kit she made her own stuffed bear. It was made from felt with pre-punched holes for easy sewing. The purse below is another similar project to the one Jemma did today.

Although the kits are great, chatting with your child is extra special.



* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

4 comments:

  1. I love the photo of you two working on your projects together and love the conversation topics!! Thanks for the updates each day. Been thinking about you all and sending lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I must admit I haven't been on top of my blog reading the past few weeks due to things I have been busy with. So I missed Jemma's leukemia diagnosis. My 7 year old daughter is a leukemia survivor. She was diagnosed at 22 months, did 2 1/2 years of chemo, and had been off treatment for 3 years as on May 9. I will be following Jemma's progress, praying for your family, and feel free to be in touch with me if you choose. We have had many blessings come out of Athena's time on treatment.
    Demetra @ www.threegirlsandaminivan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT's so good you are getting these conversations down. I am checking the kits right now. I admit I was not expecting the pencil case to be that cute! Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...