Monday, April 9, 2012

Sweedish Buns - St. Lucia Buns

In Sweeden, there is a tradition celebrated on the shortest day of the year. Early in the morning the oldest daughter rises early and prepares buns for the family. She then serves them to the family in bed. My daughter did this on the winter solstice and again last week.

She heated milk and butter.

Then she mixed in eggs, sugar, flour and the other ingredients. The dough had to be kneeded and set aside to rise.

When the dough was ready she measured it and rolled out two pieces at a time.

Then she crossed the two pieces,


and coiled them inwards.

She did a great job making these buns all by herself.

 The recipe she used came from Kirsten's American Girl Cookbook.


Around the world in 12 Dishes Hearth & Soul Hop NightOwlCrafting


* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

6 comments:

  1. You should link this up to my Around the World in 12 Dishes, it's Swedish month.

    And, I'm totally impressed she's making bread. I suck at it, so anyone able to do it impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this! Thank you for linking to Kids in the Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How old is your daughter that she made these on her own? I guess mama also got up early to photograph... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is 10 years old. She made them on the winter solstice as is the Sweedish tradition, but she has made them several times since at all hours of the day.

      Delete
  4. I remember doing this as a young girl! And it was from Kirsten's book too :0) Great job! Visiting from Kik!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! We will try this out for the Winter solstice :-) Your daughter did a great job, they look really good. I was actually just looking at our Baking Bread with Children cookbook and they have a good recipe for St Lucia buns.

    Thanks for sharing on Happy lil hearts are baking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...