Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Steamed Brown Bread

This week the kids decided to bake brown bread. They found the recipe in our favorite 4 lb cookbook. The interesting thing about this bread is that it was boiled. I had never heard of that before.




They mixed lots of molasses and butter with flour, wheat germ, milk, nutmeg, walnuts, rasins, oil and baking soda.
The mixture was put into small metal cups (the recipe called for soup cans) to boil.
The cups were covered with aluminum foil, placed in a little bit of water and steamed with the lid on the pot.

Although the recipe called it bread, I think it was cake. It tasted very sweet. So what is the difference between bread and cake anyway?





This post is linked to
Inspired Weekends

* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

10 comments:

  1. It looks good reminds of Plum pudding:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great :-) And I agree, it sounds like steamed pudding to me, which would be yummy.

    And according to wikipedia cake is a form of bread ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake

    Thanks for sharing on Happy lil ❤'s are baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of steamed bread, either! Maybe it was more of a steamed sponge recipe. Looks great either way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! Cakes and breads are very similar - I do serve many of my bread recipes as desserts because I think they are sweet enough to qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe it's a sweet bread ;) sharing - thanks for linking with Kids in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. We love brown bread with baked beans and weiners and cole slaw. I knew it was usually steamed which sounded like a lot of work, but this doesn't too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too much work for me because the kids made it. :) It did have to steam for hours.

      Delete
  7. thanks for linking again with kIds in the kitchen - pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up with Inspired Weekends! Please stop by Horrific Knits on Friday for the next round!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...