Monday, April 2, 2012

Hummus

We made hummus from the book Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. It was a fun cooking experience and a simple science lesson.

We started by soaking garbanzo beans in water for about 12 hours. Then we cooked them for about 12 hours in the crock pot set to low.

We compared the size of the cooked beans with the original dry beans to see how much they expanded by soaking up water.

 Then we let the cooked beans dry out and watched them shrink back to their original size.

 The sunflower seeds were soaked in water for about 3 hours before making the hummus.

They also expanded when soaked in water.

Next, the garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and lemon juice were mixed in the food processor.

 The kids cut some cucumbers and red peppers to dip into the hummus.







This post is linked to 
Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons


* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them.
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

5 comments:

  1. What great pictures of the hummus making process! And I really like the science of making it all from scratch too. I love hummus, but I have to admit that I cheat and used canned beans whenever I do make it at home.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I've only ever had hummus made from chickpeas (I think?), but this recipe sounds really good. I like that you went through the whole process. I think kids really get appreciation when they understand the time and steps involved! And thanks for sharing with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the exact same thing. They just have two very different names.

      Delete
  3. So that's how it's made? Interesting.

    It's always interesting to see how things expand when they've added water.

    Thanks for linking to Science Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hummus and tried making it once before, but couldn't get it to come out right. I am tempted to try again after reading your post. I also love the science lessons here.
    Would love if you would stop by and share. I have a weekly Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen linky. Here is this week's link
    http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2012/04/kids-and-mom-in-kitchen-banana-pancakes.html
    Found your post at another linky (over at Happy Whimsical Hearts)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...