Sunday, February 26, 2012

Huge Book List

Huge Book List Update August, 2013

I really like Charlotte Mason's method for book selection. For several years I have been constructing this Huge Book List by writing down titles of books recommended by friends, and curriculums which use primarily Living Books. Living Books teach through stories rather than simply listing facts and figures. Although not all the books on the list would be classified as Living Books the majority are Living Books.

My daughter always has her nose in a book. Since most of the books on this list are interesting to read, her reading habit is easy to encourage.  I use the list to find books on a particular subject at the appropriate level.  It is also an excellent reference when requesting titles on-line from the library.

I've just done a massive update to my Huge Book List. It is sorted first by grade and second by subject. We are far from reading all of the books on this list. I hope you find it useful.



This post is linked to: 
A Mama's Story
The Better Mom
Chicken Chick
Montessori Monday
Classroom Freebies
Monday Kid Corner

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list. I will be coming back to check it out more thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked and pinned your list -- I can't wait to spend some more time perusing it. What an amazing list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an extensive list, and I love that it's sorted by grade. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came here after reading your answer on the AO group. This is fantastic, wow, you've done a lot of work to get this going! Thank you! I will definitely be using it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another AO user saying "Thank you, thank you!" I'm pinning this! And I'd like to link from my blog, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can absolutely link it to your blog. Since you mentioned it I popped over and took a look. I loved the bird picture right at the top and I'm sorry about your bookshelf.

      Delete
  6. This is a very comprehensive list!! I am going to have to find a very good library to find these books!! My son needs to read over summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This list is extensive. I can't imagine how much time this took you. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your link through Manic Monday Linky. I love book lists! I am constantly creating lists and then updating them. I post many of them at my blog too. Thanks for sharing. Caitlin (www.The-Room-Mom.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is great and I love they way you have links to all your book lists at the top. I just read all the descriptions from you list of sad books and Summer to Die caught my attention.

      I'm not sure how much you looked through my blog, but my six year old daughter has Leukemia. I have written extensively about her.
      http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.de/p/leukemia.html

      She is doing very well. I think this book would be good for all of my children to read when they are adults. Since we have lived through the experience and they are still children, now would be a difficult time for the story.

      Thank you
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh-- I had no idea. I got carried away with your book list and did not read further (yet). I read Summer to Die when I was in the 5th grade, and it has always stuck with me.

      I just posted lesson plans on TpT for Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Coerr, which is another Leukemia related story, although, it is tied to Hiroshima and the atom bomb. It has an inspiring ending but not a happy one so probably best to save it for later.

      My thoughts are with you! Caitlin

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...